Saturday, February 19, 2011

On keeping a journal

I guess in some way or another, I have been keeping a journal since I first learned how to write.  In elementary school, we kept journals in which we were sometimes allowed to free write and draw a picture to accompany the text and sometimes we were given a topic to write about.  I've kept personal journals off and on, my first one being a little red book with gold edged paper and a lock with key.  I loved that book.  I've had various journals since then, but in the past five years, I have been using moleskines pretty much exclusively. 
I write about anything and everything.  Whatever is bothering me that day or things that make me happy or something funny someone said.  I've also taken to glueing in the detrius of my life:  movie ticket stubs, receipts, stickers, packaging; anything that takes my eye.  Sometimes I paint the pages to brighten them up or I colour around things with felt tipped markers.  I tape in pictures with washi tape and glue down stuff I have printed out that meant something to me.  If you were to look into one of my journals now, I think you would have a pretty good sense of who I am, not just by the writing but by the stuff that I have saved or chosen to collect.
I love keeping a journal.  It's become such a habit, that if I don't write for a day, I miss it.  I pack my journal around with me everywhere.  I write whenever inspiration strikes.  I often write down lists of things to buy or pick up or books that I've heard about and might like to read or movies that I want to see.  I'll even clip reviews from magazines for books or movies and paste them into my journals as a reference.  Sometimes I write down a quote that has stuck with me or words to a song that I like.  Over the years, my journals have become my constant companions.  They know all of my secrets and when I finish a journal, I feel almost sad to let it go.  I don't ever really feel alone when I have a journal with me.
Lately, I have been obsessed with journal writing and looking for new inspiration.  I have found many cool blogs such as Journaling Saves, Journaling Journeys and Journal Addict to name a few.  Check out the side bar for other blogs on notebooks and such.
Do any of you keep a journal?  What do you do with yours?

1 comment:

Diane said...

Hi there, I just found your blog from another site you posted on..Journal Journeys I think it was! Anyway, I'm always interested in what other people write in and what they do with their journals. You sound like me, in that you glue things down and add colour, etc.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello, from another Canadian...I'm in Newfoundland!