Thursday, February 11, 2010

An Education Indeed

I went to see this on Monday night.  It was sooooooooo good.  I can see why Carey Mulligan has risen to celebrity status.  She did a great job playing a 16, almost 17 year old in the movie, even though she was 23 at the time.  Not to mention, she's totally gorgeous. I loved her character.  She's smart, witty and loves all things Parisienne.  She sings along to French records and smokes French cigarettes while studying Latin so that she can get into Oxford.
I was a little freaked out by Peter Sarsgaard's character because he was so much older than her. Apparently this must have been okay in Britian in the 60's.   I still think I'd be worried if my daughter brought home a much older man when she was only almost 17!

As always, Emma Thompson played her role as Head Mistress superbly.  Her dry British wit and sarcasm made me laugh out loud.  I heart her.
Nick Hornby is one of my favourite authors and I loved watching "About A Boy" and "High Fidelity".  He seems to pick actors/actressess who have the same witty way about them.  Love, love, love him!!!  If you haven't seen this movie yet, you should check it out.  It's worth it!

No comments: